As an online marketer you will have to send a lot of mails. This means that you have to send them correctly and use the best platform out there. If you are interested in gaining huge database of email addresses, you can check my post about Google+. Email can be time consuming if they are done in the wrong way. In this post, I will discuss what are the most common mistakes or errors in the email marketing and how to avoid them. Here are the 10 errors that you should avoid.
1. Doublecheck the email address and the recipient. Some email addresses may look similar. It is important that you always check the correct address Just imagine that you sent a very important email and you did not get a reply. Then you went back and checked. The awul realization came upon you. You found out that you made a mistake in the email. This is very important. Better to check than to be sorry.
2. Make sure you address the recipient properly. Whether you write formal or informal email always make sure that you address the recipient properly. This shows your respect towards them and it also shows that you are a true professional. Always remember to be polite. Even if your customers come across as rude, do not play their game.
3. Make sure that you stick to the topic of the email. Longer emails do not get read and opened. Say what you have to say and keep it short. Nobody wants to read essays. And nobody has time for this. We all want to spend our time as efficiently as possible and reading your long emails is not an option.
4. Make sure that you are not being too formal or too informal. There is a thin line. You have to find harmony between formality and informality. This will show that you are a great professional. If you have doubts whether to write in informal or formal language, it is always better to stick to the formal. You can never go wrong with the formalities.
5. Do not use emojis or emoticons. It may seem as a great idea at first, but it can go horribly. Never ever use emojis in the formal letters. Save the emoticons for the chats of your loved ones. You may think that you are coming across as nice and pleasant, but in fact you are making a fool out of yourself.
6. Including too many personal details. Do not include your personal details in formal emails. This will come across as strange and awkward. Your business partners do not want to read about you cat or about your son’s grades. They want to discuss business and business only. Do not try to become friends with them. Remember that you are in a business partnership.
7. Reply all. Or an automated response. This will show that you have no respect for your customers. If you were trying to make them feel special, you will fail miserably when trying to answer them all with automated response. If you do not like replying on emails then maybe this is not the best marketing strategy for you.
8. Forgetting to change the subject. Always check if you have written the correct subject. Sometimes we write something in the subject box and then we do not correct it, you do not want to embarrass yourself.
9. Too many words. Emails that are too long and not divided in the paragraphs or have headlines, do not get read. Most people just glance at the emails, so it is important that you divide them in shorter paragraphs. You are telling a story, but remember that you are not writing a novel, better think of this as a short story. We do not have a long attention span. You have to get your reader’s attention with the smallest amount of words s possible.
10. Do not use capital letters in your email. This will come across as yelling. You do not want to be yelling at your customers? Right? They would not appreciate it. Always keep in mind that you should treat your customers right and let this show in the emails you send them.
Email marketing is a business that consists purely on emails. One short email can change someone’s life. Definitely, it can change your life and your sales numbers. It is important that you put a lot of effort into your emails, because they are a reflection of your business. The better emails you will send to your customers the better results you will get. Your sales will increase and you will be more successful than ever. Writing emails is no great science. You just have to be careful to whom you are writing and about what are you writing. You should always doublecheck everything you write.
You will see that email marketing is like any other marketing. Just use your words wisely. You do not have to be a genius to write an effective email, you just have to pay attention to the details and stay away from mistakes that are listed above. Other businessman will appreciate your effort and your customers will buy from you, because they will notice your hard work. Do no give up and keep on writing those emails. Soon you will be the best in your field.